Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 01:59 AM
Tree

Love it
Old 07-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Blossom

AWWWW! I always wanted one of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So cute! I love gnomes!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Tree

Zuzu.... that is such a great idea! I have been thinking about buying a garden gnome (one that I could tuck away and have peeking out behind a plant!) But I not really into bright colored cartoon things. I have been looking for an antique style gnome, bronzed looking or something. But I like this idea too.... build a home for them, and the gnomes will come!

I got my undergraduate degree from Luther College. It was founded by Norwegian-americans, and gnomes are still really big throughout the town and college campus. They are in the gardens, up in the trees... everywhere!! I'd like to do something in my garden with a gnome to remember that time in my life!

Thanks for the wonderful reminder!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Bush

Zuzu back when you first posted these pictures I told one of my neighbors about it. He loved the idea so much he wanted to do it too but couldn't find anything remotely like what you used. He was so inspired he made wooden doors. One tree has the front door and about 12 feet away another tree has a back door. It is adorable. He keeps telling me how someone put a little gnome outside the front door but he doesn't know who did it. Should I tell him or keep him guessing?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:50 AM
Bush

How cute is that!!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Sprout

This is adorable! I love the way you pulled this all together and I was wondering if you have added any gnomes yet? I'm already looking for a tree where I can do something similar, but maybe with wooden doors. Thanks for sharing this. I hope you will post pics if you do add a gnome or two.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Acorn

I just love that, thanks for the picture! I have always believed!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Sprout

This has really inspired me! I was just out in my shop looking to see if I still had gnome molds from years ago when I played around with ceramics and I do. They are kinda old and pretty big but I'm going to get some poured up and fired this weekend. This will be a fun project!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Tree

Corky,

I'd love to see a picture of your gnomes when you finish them. I wish that I lived down the street from you. I'd love to do this project with you! Ceramics are such fun!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Sprout

I wish you did too! There are 3 to the set, 2 guys and one gal. I'm still going through old paints and stains to see what I have left thats usuable.
If mine turns out just half as good as Zuzu's it will be worth it.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Tree

I'm sure that your project turn out great!

I have been looking every so often for a gnome (online usually).... but I can't seem to find one that I like. My preference is for an antique looking gnome.... one that isn't so bright. I like garden art that has to be looked for to be seen.

So even if it has some color, it would be antiqued brownish over it so that the colors aren't so bright. I would choose colors that are opaque (not too bright), and then use the 'wipe the rag' technique... applying the more watery brown color over the top and then wipe it off, leaving the brown tint in the crevices, etc.

Oops, maybe I'm explaining it too much! See, I already have planned what I'd do if I lived down your street! Wishful thinking! I love this kind of stuff!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to Laura13617
i love that zuzu it's so adorable!!! i believe in your little friend
Old 02-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Sprout

Miami Panda, the ones I have are cheesy, at least according to my daughter. One of the males are pushing a wheelbarrow full of flowers. I don't remember what the other 2 are doing won't know till I get them poured and turned out. I like the way you described painting them though. I'm sending you a pm.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

Aw, thank you corky, jdemny and Laura, and thanks for stopping by to visit again miamipanda.
I'm sure that my gnome will feel very proud that his humble abode helped to inspire someone to provide a living space for other garden gnomes.

Penny and msmacgyver, I'm terribly embarrassed that I missed your posts until now. Please forgive.
MsM, I'd truly love to see a photo of your neighbor's creation and his little friend who mysteriously appeared there. I just adore this story!

Corky, please share pix of your project as it progresses.

So far, my resident gnome has proved to be a rather shy fellow, he is never out and about when I have the camera with me.
I almost caught him, but he ducked inside very quickly before I snapped these two shots late last summer,
I heard him shouting something that sounded like "Confounded paparazzi!!"
He's got a temper, too, because half an hour later the little stinker chucked a couple of Hickory nuts at my ankle - those things sting, by the way!

Do you notice that he now has two potted ferns and a pet turtle, as well as a new and improved mushroom?
And just there, at the bottom right hand corner of his door is a neatly stacked supply of Hickory nuts.
I used to wonder what they were for, but now I understand.
If you build, they will come ...................

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 08-03-2017 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: p'bucket holding photos hostage :-(
Old 02-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Bush

Great zuzu. With this thread and some research I think I'm going to build a couple of homes for the gnomes that have been hanging around my yard. One is going to be on the fence in the flowerbed they frequent. The other is going to be on a nearby tree. Because of the flowers growing around the tree I'm going to mount the home higher on the tree, with a ladder to get to it, and a bridge to help them get over the landscape boulders around the flowerbed. Mine will be built out of cedar left over from bird feeders that I've been building.

Tags
garden decor
-->