Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Flowering Shrub

Fish tank terrarium

A sweet friend gave me her 35gal fish tank that hasn't been used in oh..3yrs I think. It's been kept in the house & is in good shape, but I already have a 30gal tank & don't want to use it as a fish tank. I'd like to use it as a terrarium, but I've got a few questions

1) The light for the tank is still in good working order, would it hurt to have it on the plants at night (not all night, just to look pretty between sundown & when we go to bed) The bulb says "All Glass Aquarium 25W Rapid Start" if that makes any differance. Oh & it's bluish-purple tinted.

2) I want to put it in front of a north-east facing window, would that be too warm for the plants? It's in the shade from about 11am-2pm & I have a lacy/mesh curtain I can pull over the window in the hot summer.

3) If I ever wanted to revert it back to fish tank, could I? Or would it be ruined forever (not that I honestly know if it sitting empty ruined it or not)

4) What are some cheap easy to terrarium-grow plants that I can learn with? I have a vft I thought of putting in it, but I don't want to be digging it up every year so it can go dormant in the fridge.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Flowering Shrub

the light thats in it would be good for low to medium light plants, otherwise I see no problem with using it as a terrarium. as for using it as a fish aquarium later on, just make sure to check it for leaks and give it a good scrubbing.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Tree

I agree with the post above

CP's would make a good plant group, but as stated they would need to go dormant...

Maybe small ferns?

Here's a couple websites I found that have a list or info on low light terrarium plants.

http://www.stormthecastle.com/terrar...ium-plants.htm
http://www.ehow.com/list_6748262_low...um-plants.html
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/terrarium~plants.html
http://www.gardenguides.com/127522-l...um-plants.html

I could send you some ivy (hedera helix) with the shipping for the jade we were going to do a trade with if you would like.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Flowering Shrub

aravenschild - Thanks What I was wondering was, if using it as a terrarium would somehow ruin the seal for water later on?

jreidsma - We could do that, I don't know when I will have the 'postage fund' refilled though Hopefully before the jade sprouts

I said it was a 35gal tank, but that's not right (& my math skills are nada lol). It has a curved front (shaped like a D ), so measuring with the curve on the front it's 37"W, without the curve it's 36"W. At the deepest part of the curve it's 16"D, at the ends it's 13".It's 21" tall.
37"Wx16"Dx21"T = 53gal
36"Wx13"Dx21"T = 42gal
So which one is it?
Old 08-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Tree

For the volume probably your best bet is to go with the one ignoring the curve. Then just add a couple gallons onto that Or just say it is about 45-50 gallons

Maybe I shouldn't help with any math problems until I go back to school and start thinking again, lol....

I will send the ivy as a gift in with the money I am going to send to you for the jade. So we are still doing the "for postage" trade, but I am giving you some cuttings as gifts
Old 08-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Flowering Shrub

Aww, you don't have to do that. Is there anything I can send you in return with the jade? (I really need to figure out to make a list of what I have!)
In vines I've got golden pothos, heart shaped philodendron, purple heart & some unknown I clipped from a friends plant (she doesn't know either) that I was told was wandering jew but doesn't look like it.

Last edited by mintygirl; 08-24-2011 at 02:21 PM..
Old 08-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Tree

Sending you a PM
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Blossom

The tank is 49.1 gallons accounting for the bow in the front. Totally full of water it would weigh 420.4 pounds. I cheated.

Using it as a terrarium won't hurt it a bit. I would choose low light level plants. A 25 watt flouresent isn't much. If you go with african violets make sure you choose a cool white bulb versus the warm white. They like the blue spectrum more.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Flowering Shrub

I looked all over google for a calculator like that & couldn't find one

I'm thinking of putting jreidsma's ivy & a little baby hosta in there. I realize the hosta will have to be moved sooner than later, but it will look cute until then And anchoring in a shelf / trellis for the ivy to climb on.
I had thought of putting my jade, string of pearls & string of bananas (the last two are tiny snippets that I just rooted) in it, but I've read succulents are more difficult to maintain & being a beginner at this I don't want to set myself up for a hard time.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Sprout

no worries about ruining the tank, if you want to convert back later and find a leak ucan find aquarium silicone at most pet stores. also if you keep high humidity in the terrarium most aquatic plants will grow fine in the soil espically if the plants were grown emerced. i used to run a petshop lol
Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Flowering Shrub

It got converted back to a fish aquarium last week
Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Sprout

lol i just knoticed the date of the previous posts lol my bad
Closed Thread
-->