Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Bush

Originally Posted by beavercreek View Post:
Great buy. If you don't want to dig a hole, because of the LL, have you considered building dirt up around it on the lawn, to make a little hill for a rock garden around it? My pond like that warped from the weight of the water and is difficult to keep level without soil support. Wish I could give you some fish, my ponds are overwhelmed with them now, although I have a predetor helping himself to some of my prettiest fish. Watch neighborhood cats. LOL
I agree 100%. You got a great deal I'd hate to see you loose it. Water is extremely heavy and will do anything it can to spread out. If there is the slightest imperfection in your pond (even if you canít see it) it could crack at that point. Even if you leave it where it is I would suggest you pack soil or sand around it then add pots and rocks to keep that from migrating away. Since you plan to move maybe sacks of sand would do the job. Sandbox sand is very cheap and you could take it with you to use later. You should have at least 60% of the top of the water covered with some sort of foliage to keep the algae at bay, the fish wont be enough. I would also put something in the pond for the fish to hide under when predators approach.

I have hostas growing around my pond then potted plants behind them. The hostas hide the pond edge and the pots and look tropical as well. Have fun with it. I collected rocks and moved plants for seven years before I finally got my little pond looking the way I wanted it too.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Flowering Shrub

There will be a water lily or a lotus in the pond next spring but for now since it's getting cooler I didn't want to plant anything in it. I'll put some little oxygenators on the bottom (I have mondo grass that'll do nicely I think) and let them spread and the irises and the lily/lotus should do fine.

It's on the porch though, now way to mound sand/dirt/rocks up other than the sandbags (which are a great idea, thanks!! I'll be looking into them.)
Old 05-31-2015, 10:57 AM
Acorn

Hello

I just joined PlantSwap.net. I'm looking for a 90 gallon plastic fish pond like this

I'm not sure how to contact the person or find one at a store closer to VA.

Anyone have any ideas, please let me know.

Sue

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 05-31-2015 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: edited in accordance with site rules - please do not post email addresses in the forum
Old 05-31-2015, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by odonnsu View Post:
I just joined PlantSwap.net. I'm looking for a 90 gallon plastic fish pond like this

I'm not sure how to contact the person or find one at a store closer to VA.

Anyone have any ideas, please let me know.

Sue
The person who posted this thread back in 2009 found hers through Craig's List.
I've never used CL, but a lot of folks do seem to find great deals that way.

Otherwise, if you don't mind paying retail prices, I have seen very similar pond liners available at Lowe's Hardware.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:03 PM
Tree

Smile

Hello and welcome from IL

I bought mine at Home Depot years ago, now I don't see one you looking for at store in my area but I find something similar at Lowe's, like zuzu suggested,
fill up your zip code to find the price and store location near you.
CL is another option but how would you know if it's not leaky if you don't fill it up with water.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/plastic+pond?NCNI-5

http://www.lowes.com/Search=plastic+...=plastic+pond#!
Old 05-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Flower

That was an awesome deal!
-->