Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Flowering Shrub

Finally got my little water garden

Guy on craigslist was getting rid of a small preformed pond and waterfall that the previous owners of his home had installed...originally asked $50 and I was tempted but couldn't afford it, then he lowered it to $35, then just said make an offer-so I got a preformed pond liner, waterfall, and waterfall pump for $25total!!!

And here they are set up on my porch, I'm going to have all sorts of container plants sitting around it to help make it look nicer once spring comes lol. I've got some cannas I'm going to set around it, and I'm going to set my plumeria around it too for that 'tropical' feel. If I have room I'll put my other tropicals like hibiscus (if I can get 'em started this winter/keep 'em going), passifloras, and brugs. I'm a bit stumped as to what to put around the bottom edges though, the rocks help a little but I think a few short flowers down there would be good too.

I'll have to see what I can dig up on ebay, right?

I've got water irises to go in there, as well as a water lily (if it makes it; if not oh well, I'm going to get one of the dwarf varieties to go in there) or I still have three lotus seeds left I can sprout and grow. Plus a few little goldfish to keep the algae and mosquitoes down.

I'm so excited, I'm going to have somewhere wonderful to sit during the fall, spring, and summer and relax!! :bananajump:

Old 10-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Tree

Nice great bargain can't wait to see finished pics.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Flowering Shrub

Me either PUD LOL! Like I said it'll be next warm season before I can make it look really nice but for now I think it's pretty good considering it's sort of ghetto. XD I'm going to paint the chair black so it at least matches the plastic.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Flower

so kool I am happy for you I cant ait till you get it set up for pics let me know if you want the 4 water lotus seed I have left
Old 10-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Flowering Shrub

I've still got three, the first one sprouted just beautifully. I do appreciate it though sweetheart, if I ever run out I'll come talk to you!!
Old 10-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Flowering Shrub

Kettish,
you might want to lower the angle on the waterfall part, it will sound better (more relaxing and a softer sound) if you do...... the way you have it now will make too much noise and you will lose water from the rapid movement of the water in your pond.........

When you finally get it set up let me know, I'll see if I have water garden plants you might want.............
Old 10-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Flowering Shrub

kettish, Great buy
Old 10-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Flower Garden

Great! Can't wait to see it finished. Keep the photos coming.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Flower

Kettish you got it at a great price
Old 10-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Flowering Shrub

aravenschild, thanks, I'll see if I can-the waterfall and pond weren't part of a kit together originally I don't think as the waterfall as an odd sort of end on it and I can't make it join to the pond like I'd like it to, so it's basically leaning against a chair!

missg, BarefootGardener, lisa831, thanks! I'll keep the photos coming.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
Wow that is great!!! Can't wait to see it all put together either.

Sometimes you can put those lanscape rocks around the pond and make little spots to set pots on that helps hide the pool liner. You might be able to find them on mark down also this time of year or even some brocken or chipped ones that you might get at a great price or nothing if you talk with the manager. Worth a shot!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Flowering Shrub

I'm going to leave it on the porch there actually, I didn't want to have to dig out a big part of the yard and get yelled at by our landlords. :P I found the rocks that are there in our yard, oddly enough, just those four...wish whoever left them there had left more!!

I'm thinking my cannas will go there, and I'm going to hang some trellis behind it for a passionflower vine. Still trying to think of some other lower-lying tropicals to put in front.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Flowering Shrub

They rarely come as a kit, the waterfall is usually sold separately......

Normally those types of ponds are either built up around or set into the ground and the waterfall just sits on the ground next to it. There should be a lip on the end of the waterfall, that hangs over the edge, and allows the water to flow into the pond. So if you can stack something under the waterfall part (like cinder blocks) until its level with the pond, that should work..........

Try rose moss or any low growing vining plant.

Last edited by aravenschild; 10-03-2009 at 10:28 PM..
Old 10-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Bush

Great buy. If you don't want to dig a hole, because of the LL, have you considered building dirt up around it on the lawn, to make a little hill for a rock garden around it? My pond like that warped from the weight of the water and is difficult to keep level without soil support. Wish I could give you some fish, my ponds are overwhelmed with them now, although I have a predetor helping himself to some of my prettiest fish. Watch neighborhood cats. LOL
Old 10-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Flowering Shrub

I'm not too concerned, I'll probably be letting most of the water out for winter soon anyway and will just use it until we move next year. I'm not putting any special fish in it, just some little fantail goldfish.
-->