Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Bush

Send a message via AIM to Sheila K Send a message via MSN to Sheila K Send a message via Yahoo to Sheila K

cottage garden

I have an area in my yard where i would like to put a cottage garden. What flowers would be best?Any advice is welcome.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Bush

Send a message via Yahoo to SunnyDayGirl
The ones I saw at Callaway Gardens had lots of Foxglove...it was gorgeous.

KARMA....remember that in life, you get what you give!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Bush

Send a message via AIM to Sheila K Send a message via MSN to Sheila K Send a message via Yahoo to Sheila K
Thanks Sunny.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Tree

Oh Sheila, how neat!! I love cottage gardens!

I have always loved the history of plants, and specific, in this case, cottage gardens, which sprang up in the mid 1800s in England, in direct response and contrast to the formal estate gardens of the time.

So the cottage garden originally focused predominately on the practical household needs.... with vegetables, herbs and spices, fruit trees, wonderfully fragrant plants for perfumes, and flowers and plants for dying cloth. Whatever other space was left over, they put in flowers. Typically on the exterior of this garden, if there was no fence, a hedge of some sort would serve to keep out the livestock. Overtime, as vegetables took less predominance, more and more flowers entered the garden, but with the goal remaining constant: To meet the needs of the cottage owners.

I wish that I knew more plants for your zone. But I usally think of a climbing rose or clematis at the gate upon entering. Flowers common to early cottage gardens included hollyhocks, pansies and delphinium, old fashioned roses, and daisies.

I would just plant anything and everything that you love and that does well in your area, while just keeping in mind the concepts behind cottage gardenening: Planting an abundance and wide-variety of plants and flowers in a very informal pattern!

I hope that I didn't go overboard here with my writing. I just love everything about cottage gardens and their history, and the topic just got me going. I'd love to hear and see how your project comes along Sheila!

Last edited by miamipanda; 03-22-2010 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: grammar....oops
Old 03-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Bush

MP. I love your ideas for the cottage gardening. That's my style too, planting thick so as to smother out the weeds with lots of cut flowers, roses and blooms of many kinds. I just had to share something you reminded me of when you mentioned herbs. Before the frost last year, I carefully dug up all my plants of rosemary, potted and stored in the greenhouse thinking they would be killed by the freeze. We may have never had a harder freeze and longer cold than we had this year in FL. but I just found a plant that I had missed and it not only survived the cold but looks better than the ones in the GH. So I learned my lesson, that next year they will be left in the flower beds.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Tree

BC, aren't we funny..... loving the idea of an all kinds of plants, flowers and herbs thrown together in a garden patch. It's kind of like eclectic gardening if you ask me! I'd love to be able to walk out my back door and find all kinds or herbs and flowers to cut right there (but we have a patio.... so no such luck... I have to walk around to the east side of the house to get to my herbs, etc.

I didn't know that rosemary was cold-hardy, I looked it up, and sure enough, it's hardy through zone 7, 0 degrees! You've got quite a ways below freezing to kill the thing! Great that you accidentally left one out!
Old 03-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Bush

Thanks ladies for the encouragement.Instead of hedges i will use cannas as the backdrop.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Bush

I wasn't going to say anything here, really bit my tongue - hard (got a bandage on it), but here goes anyway:

Cottage Cheese!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Tree

Cannas would be a great backdrop..... I like the idea of using hollyhocks in groupings along with cannas.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Bush

I also have some hollyhocks i can plant. Also looking for other seeds and plants for this project.

Last edited by Sheila K; 03-22-2010 at 04:37 PM..
Old 03-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
Here's an interesting article about cottage gardens. I have some pink hollyhock seeds if you'd like some Sheila.

http://www.gardening-tips-perennials...en-plants.html
Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Bush

I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
They're yours. Let us know if there's anything else you'd like, I might have seeds!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Bush

I would like to get as many different kinds as i can and from all the people on PS so when i look at the plants i can say or think about who sent it to me/
Old 03-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Tree

Mandy, I enjoyed the information on how people use to collect and share seeds. And it has a very extensive flower list.

It made me wonder if I could grow baby's breath down here.... I would love to have that accessible when I need it!

Sheila, what other flowers are you thinking of that you don't have?
-->