Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Other Types of Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Sprout

Anyone here into hydroponics?

I got started last year with hydroponics after I found a 'How to' article online for making a reservior (aka: lettuce raft) system. I did my first experiment with it last March and it went so well that I'm expanding my setup this year.
I have a metal 5 shelf utility rack with a light on each shelf. By late winter I plan to have a reservior on each shelf.
Now I only have one reservior up and running....I'm experimenting with the expanded clay pellets as a grow media. Then I'll probably try the rockwool cubes next. I went with organic fertilizers for my system .....I had been wanting to switch to organic anyway for all of my garden fertilizing.

Does anyone here grow hydroponically? If so, I'd really enjoy comparing notes and learning from each other!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:04 AM
Flowering Shrub

i've read a little about it & thought it sounded awesome just haven't gotten around to making one, yet. lol glad to hear yours is a success!! that's so cool!!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:49 AM
Sprout

I tried a little hydroponics a few years ago. I didn't get too into it because of the money issue. I know everyone says it's cheap, but for me it's a little too much money. The electricity bill is just too much for me alone. maybe I went overboard on my light. I used a 500 watt grow light. I messed around with home made bubbler systems and found it worked, but not as well as I had hoped. I would like to try again, but probably not the bubbler systems again. Do you have any pics of your set up?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Sprout

No photos yet, but I'll try to get some up soon....
Old 11-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Sprout

Send a message via AIM to fermentingblob Send a message via Yahoo to fermentingblob
I have experimented with flood and drain tables. Also, I have set up an aeroponics systems. I have used a couple different grow lights from CFL to High pressured sodium. I felt guilty with all the power the lights used, I felt less guilty using the flourscent. What I was growing still came out great and smelling good haha. I'll be happy to share my experiences. What are you growing with your system, lettuce?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Sprout

I grow mostly flowering perennials, tropicals and unusual plants. I don't have enough yard to grow many veggies and Hubby & kids are too picky to eat them anyway, LOL.

I've started lots of Plumeria and Desert Rose plants hydroponically. I still have only one reservoir going but have made space on the shelves to hold another one. I hope to start some tomatoes in January, but any other veggies I start will probably be involved in my first attempt at overwintering seeds outdoors. I just use the florescent grow lights and they seem to work well (they do have to be close to the seedlings)...some of those other ligts are so expensive and I was concerned with the amount of power they use also.

Is the flood & drain system as confusing as it appears it would be? Some of the setups I've seen look like they would require lots of self-timers or alot of attention, not to mention a high setup cost.

Since I'm still experimenting with grow mediums, I've been transplanting my seedlings from hydro to soil before they're totally mature to make room for a new batch of seeds & different medium (some of the varieties I grow don't like much water, so I was concerned about root rot). Last Spring I grew two batches of seedlings and so far this time I've only grown two batches as well. I do plan to allow some plants to mature in the hydro once I have my 2nd reservoir running.

What plants do you grow in hydro? And what is your favorite grow medium?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Sprout

Send a message via AIM to fermentingblob Send a message via Yahoo to fermentingblob
I grew herbs mostly. My favorite medium is expanded aggregate with Rockwool cubes for the starts. Works great in a flood and drain system. I had fish pumps in the reservoirs of my tables to keep the nutrients and water mixing. That way, I didn't have to change the water as much. I would try to check every week the ph of the water and add some organic liquid fert. I had my lights on timers along with the flood and drain table.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Sprout

Did you use the aggregate and rockwool cubes combined together?
I recently tried the aggregate (hydroton pellets), but I mixed them with perlite to help hold the seeds in place and keep them from sinking way under the pellets.
I tried rockwool cubes for starting seeds in trays, but not with the hydro yet....I liked how they worked in the trays.

I use aquarium pumps also for air flow in my reservoirs. I just turn them off every other day once the seeds sprout...is that pretty similar to flood & drain system? I've heard of Flood & Drains that water at 15 minute intervals.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Acorn

Originally Posted by chellflower View Post:
I got started last year with hydroponics after I found a 'How to' article online for making a reservior (aka: lettuce raft) system. I did my first experiment with it last March and it went so well that I'm expanding my setup this year.
I have a metal 5 shelf utility rack with a light on each shelf. By late winter I plan to have a reservior on each shelf.
Now I only have one reservior up and running....I'm experimenting with the expanded clay pellets as a grow media. Then I'll probably try the rockwool cubes next. I went with organic fertilizers for my system .....I had been wanting to switch to organic anyway for all of my garden fertilizing.

Does anyone here grow hydroponically? If so, I'd really enjoy comparing notes and learning from each other!
Would you mind sharing that how to article? Im interested in starting, or at least knowing more about this kind of system.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Blossom

I'de love to see a picture of your set-up!
Old 09-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Sprout

hydroponic

I have a PVC 4" system. Look at my album to see it. I tried tomatoes but the heat really got to them not to mention bugs. I got some peepers going ok and a nice broccoli. I have55 spaces using nutriend from hydrogardens nutrient out of Colorado. Thres a Guy online kind of a rednecky Guy, who really teaches and gives great info. Believe it or not the best thing growing ate my passion fruit vines.
-->