Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk > Plant ID Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Acorn

Please help me with identifying this plant...

I received a few cuttings of this plant but the owner did not know the name of it. She received it as a gift about 30+ years ago.

image.jpg
Old 05-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Sprout

Looks just like my 'Angel Wings' Begonia. Mine thrives on my covered south facing porch getting 4 hours of morning sun & bright light the rest of the day but no sun all afternoon. With this much sun & light the flowers go from pink to cherry red, leaf spots get very shiny metallic, upper side gets darker green & undersides get dark burgundy. Too much afternoon sun will bleach the leaves to a pale rust color that isn't very attractive. I tried growing mine indoors but flowers are messy when they are finishing & fall. That's how it got outside. Cuttings are so easy to make. Cut a branch just below a stem joint & put the branch in water to cover that notch & roots appear in about 2 weeks. Put in soil at that point & you have a new plant. It is also called 'Big Cane' Begonia because the main stem is pretty sturdy & can get 3' in perfect conditions. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by TrudyBee; 05-09-2016 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: added a word
Old 05-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Berri

Your friend has shared a lovely pass-along plant with you.
I agree with TrudyBee, this is a cane-type Begonia (sometimes called "angel wings") and I'm sure that it will grow wonderfully for you and before you know it, you'll have plenty to share, too.

As your friend's story indicates, our mothers and grandmothers have been sharing and re-sharing these happy bloomers for many, many years.

You may find some helpful info at this American Begonia Society LINK: http://www.begonias.org/greenhouse/cane.htm

Old 05-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Acorn

Thank you so much TrudyBee & Zuzu! You guys have been so helpful. I've rooted about 5 cuttings already & looking forward to growing & sharing it. Most of all, I can't wait to see the beauty that TrudyBee says this plant has.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

You are very welcome, and TrudyBee is right, you are in for a treat!
Cane-type Begonias can become sort of addictive, here is one of mine, from last summer:

Old 05-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Acorn

Zuzu that is absolutely Gorgeous!!! This is most likely going to be my favorite of all. I'm in love with it already!!! Even though, I thought I would be able to enjoy it as an indoor house plant, it looks like it does so much better outside. Either way I'm going to enjoy it anyway. Yay!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you.

Because my climate has a colder winter than TrudyBee enjoys in Louisiana, I trim mine up and bring them in before frost -
but yes, they really do enjoy spending the warm months outside in a filtered light location and they flower more freely for me outside, too.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:45 AM
Acorn

I really hope mines will do just as well as yours and TrudyBee's...Right now i'm torn between where to put it outside. I'm so protective of it. Don't want anything to happen to it...
-->