Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk > Plant ID Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Acorn

Identify type of fern

Can anyone help me identify this fern/plant? It is in a 2 inch pot, so very tiny. It has no veins. I keep flipping between the Ophioderma/Platycerium families. It does not have true hands like a Hand Fern, but instead single leaves/fronds. There doesn't seem to be an rhizome like spreaders, but some stringy roots which could just be the planting medium from the nursery. Also it seems to have a parachute like structure in the soil, making me think Platycerium, but again, could be how the nursery grew the seedling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fern11 stags family.JPG (481.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Talking

Hi MsD, and welcome to PlantSwap.

Your cute little baby does bear a lot of resemblance to a very immature Platycereum (if I were taking an absolutely wild guess, I might say P. bifurcatum) ... but time and maturity will certainly paint a much clearer picture - perhaps it will turn out to be something quite exotic and uncommon.

Do you happen know what grower this plant originated from?
Just wondering if they might have a website where they catalog their collection.

A mystery is always fun to grow and watch develop, isn't it? I find them hard to resist.
Just this week I found an unlabeled plant in a local shop and asked the proprietor if it might be some less common species of Anthurium - but she identified it as an Aglaonema.
That didn't seem right to me, but it was such an interesting plant that I brought it home anyway. Happily, some research proved it to be a big, healthy Anthurium superbum.

Congrats on a good find, hope it grows big and strong for you.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Acorn

Unfortunately, the nursery where I purchased it did not know the exact type of fern, but it is a fern based on the price sticker. I might call them today to see if a manager can tell me where they source their terrarium/fairy plants.
-->