Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk > Plant ID Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 PM
Sprout

i got this as a gift

i was given this tree as a gift from my tattoo artist she didnt know what it was and has had it a long time and thought i could give it some tlc here are a couple pics thanks for the help!

Old 06-30-2016, 11:03 PM
Sprout

Is this a Ponytail Palm?
Old 07-01-2016, 03:23 AM
Forest

Sort of cute tho.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:38 PM
Sprout

as of now i have it ina partially sunny spot in the house and it seems to be doing alright but i wanna know if it would be better inside or out side
Old 07-02-2016, 03:08 AM
Sprout

I think it looks a lot like a Ponytail Palm that has been neglected and therefore lacks the bulbous base. With proper care, the base should bulge as it retains water. Or maybe the bulge is unseen in the photo because it's beneath the soil line?

If it's a Ponytail Palm being grown indoors, give it as much light as possible and water only when the soil is dry. Outdoors, full sun and water only when the soil is dry. Basically, if you're unsure if it needs watering, wait a week and then do so. In places that get frost, it'll do better indoors until it's warm enough to bring outdoors again. It'll require a growing medium with excellent drainage. And it will grow taller outdoors than it will indoors.

The leaves on your plant and the texture of its trunk are similar to those in this photo of Ponytail Palms:

Last edited by ohhmye; 07-02-2016 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 07-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Sprout

i dug up the plant because i remember her saying it had a big mass at the bottom of it and sure enough it was there so i have it exposed now that big ball at the base of the trunk. i should of taken pics because i looked at the roots and it didnt look like much was going. do they have strong root systems or are they more weak?
Old 08-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Acorn

I cannot remember what the name of this plant is but it is not a Pony Tail Plant. It is a close cousin.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Sprout

To me, it looks like a dracaena of some sort. There is dracaena marginata or Madagascar dragon tree. It has a thin maroon border on each leaf. Your's may be so stressed that it has temporarily lost that coloring. It will come back, though. There is also a cultivar that is solid green with a lighter green midsection, called dracaena Nikki. Give it more water and medium light. It should turn around nicely. They get tall 6 foot tall or so. Very pretty, too!
Old 08-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Acorn

I think Kathy is right. The common dracaena plant has much broader leaves but there are lots of cultivars. If it grows too tall, simply cut it off level as it is where the leaves are sprouting now. Each place you cut it off will sprout two or more "arms" becoming fuller and lovelier. Enjoy!
Old 08-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Sprout

92drake's plant has a big mass at the base of the trunk. I don't think a dracaena has that.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Acorn

I don't see that as a big mass, it just looks like a large stem/trunk to me. If indeed there is a big mass at the bass, it may be a pony tail. I just do not think it is a pony tail.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:31 AM
Sprout

I asked if maybe the bulbous base was hidden beneath the soil line.

Originally Posted by 92drake View Post:
i dug up the plant because i remember her saying it had a big mass at the bottom of it and sure enough it was there so i have it exposed now that big ball at the base of the trunk.
-->