Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > General Gardening Talk > Plant ID Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2015, 10:32 AM
Acorn

Can anyone help me ID this plant?

I bought this plant from Walmart, as a "tropical house plant" it has recently bloomed, leading me to believe its a type of peace lily, but i cant find anything online matching its description. Any one have an idea??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (993.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-31-2015, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Your colorful plant is an Aglaonema (commonly called a "Chinese Evergreen" by some of my plant friends ),
you might say that it's a "cousin" of the "Peace Lily".

There is some info at the Costa Farms site (linked above) which I hope you'll find helpful.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:05 PM
Acorn

Thank you so much!! It IS a very easy plant to grow, it was just a little baby when i got it, and its grown a whole lot in a year. I was very happy to see it bloom!
Old 07-31-2015, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

You are very welcome, glad I could help.
I love these plants too, and have a few different ones - they are so easygoing and never "complain" about moving indoors for the winter, unlike so many plants that sulk.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:23 PM
Acorn

Well i live in the upper peninsula of Michigan, so the only houseplant of mine that goes out for the "summer" (lol) are my rosemary. And they definitely sulk when i bring them in. Quite frankly im always surprised they make it through the winter!
Old 07-31-2015, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Oh yes, I can well imagine - your conditions are obviously quite different from my situation here in NC.

I don't know if you have Lowe's Hardware in your area, but their nursery section is where I have been able to find some of these Aglaonema plants with different coloring/pattern on the foliage, and if they do well for you, it may be something you want to keep watch for.

A couple of years ago, I noticed them available near the holidays and thought they'd make a nice change from Poinsettias - a little non-traditional, of course, but a good investment, since they are still going strong!

Here are two with a different appearance, but the same easygoing personality as yours:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aglaonema (2).JPG (294.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Aglaonema (6).JPG (345.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 07-20-2017 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: p'bucket holding photos hostage :-(
Old 07-31-2015, 02:21 PM
Acorn

Oohh i LOVE them! I have a smmaaalll obsession with plants, so i pick them up anywhere i can i dont have a lowes, we just have a menards and ace hardware ( and even those are a few hours away in the nearest city, sault sainte marie. I get a lot from walmart because i dont have many options, and at the church swaps. We just moved houses though, and my 6 foot ficus who has never dropped a darn leave in her life is suddenly losing leaves. Not a ton but still! Ive moved her everywhere i can, but we dont have any south facing windows like shes used too...its breaking my heart...all my other plants are doing just great, even the silly azalea that ive been trying to stay alive since mothers day of 13. It actually flowered again this year! Not a whole lot of foliage, but huge blooms. Weirdest thing ever...i just dont know what to do with that plant. I fertilize, prune, water a little more than the others, but ill be darned if it will ever look anything more than half dead!
Old 07-31-2015, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you - keep your eyes open, these do seem to be showing up more often in the "big box stores".
I am planning to try rooting a cutting, and I think it should go well - if so, then I may be in a position to offer a swap at some point. *fingers crossed*

Moving is a little traumatic for everyone, isn't it? Plants included - have patience with your Ficus, my experience with them is that they are "reactionaries" who may pout and spit leaves if moved from one side of a window to the other, but eventually they do get over it and settle in to the new location and fill back out with new growth.
The trick now, is to choose the spot that you believe will be the best for her, and then stick to your guns - the fewer additional changes, the better, I think.

Best luck.

-->