Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Cacti / Succulents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Acorn

Queen of the night

mine is not the cactus ,, it has long slender scalloped leaves and tendrils with air roots the tendrils can expand out as far as 5' , its pot bound now and not sure whether to cut it back or just repot the plant ! It grows tendrils and leaves but no flower !

Last edited by Contary; 07-21-2015 at 07:40 PM..
Old 07-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Contary, and welcome.

"Queen of the Night" (Epiphyllum oxypetalum), is wonderful , and yep, it's a member of the cactus family.
I find that mine blooms much better when it is rather potbound, so I hesitate to repot unless it is truly necessary.
When I think it REALLY needs it, I usually wait another year.

Adventitious roots (air roots) are natural to many species of Epiphyllum, and they are not usually a cause for concern - unless they are occurring in great profusion, in which case they may be indicating that growing conditions could be improved (could be moisture or light levels, or being significantly under-potted).

This bit is sheer guesssing, on my part, because I'm not sure what you mean by "tendrils", but if you mean that your plant has some skinnier, whippy-looking green growths, then that might be "etiolated" growth, which is generally a good indicator that light levels are lower than ideal - and low light levels can be a cause low (or no) flower production, too.

There is a very nice article HERE which contains lots of good advice and some nice pictures.

Again, welcome to the group, glad you found us.

-->