Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Cacti / Succulents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 02:59 PM
Acorn

#105 Today, 04:08 AM

Hi Deb.
Well I live in the trpics of Far North Queensland Australia.
Now I leave mine out side all year round and at the moment we are going into winter,which is less than your 32c degress.
So I suggest you leave them out side and let them come back to normal on thier own..

Cheers
Paul
Aussievet
Old 03-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Tree

aussievet, here in america 32 degrees is in farenheit, That's when it freezes. I would think an adenium being tropical would not come back?
Old 03-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Acorn

Tropics

Well here we get down to 30f and I still leave them out side,I have a 14 year old Rose that I planted in the ground before I knew that they are a pot plant.
And the other 4 in pots are all growing well.I'll get on to your face book page and post you a pic.

Aussievet
Old 03-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Tree

here we get down to 5 to 10 below 0 farenheit.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Acorn

Too Cold

Well that is too cold for Desert Rose, you deffently have to leave them inside..

Aussievet
Old 08-31-2014, 01:37 PM
Acorn

Originally Posted by mickeys_rose View Post:
I have been wanting to do this for awhile but I had to be patient and wait for the right time. I love showing people on how to do things. I know that there are several people on here that have Desert Roses and maybe they are unsure on how to go about pruning theirs.
It isn't easy as mine seem to be always blooming when the pruning needs to be done. I pruned my Desert Roses for the first time in March of 2008. I was sick to my stomach when I did it and was praying that I did it right. I read up on how it was done and I think that I leave more branch than some nurseries do. They seem to prune right back within a inch of the caudex. I am also showing how to repot a Desert Rose also in this thread.
Anyhow I hope that this is full of helpful information and that you will get something out of it.
A note to tell you to be careful of the sap of this plant. It can be irritating to some people and always, always wash your hands after messing with these plants. The Sap is poisonious and can make you very sick. All parts of this plant are toxic if ingested.

Step 1:
Take your plant and set it on a good solid surface. Have your sharpened pruners and some sanitizing solution on hand in a container. I use bleach 1 part to 4 parts water.
This plant also needs to be repotted and I am going to show you a step by step on that as well.
You can see in the picture how long and leggy the plant looks. This is just one years worth of growth. I want the plant to branch out more. That in the long run will give me more flowers.

Step 2:
Take your pruners and cut the branches from the plant. It is hard for me to do this, but in as little as 3 -4 months I will have more flowers.

You can then if you like this plants blooms save the branches and let them scab over for a few days. Place in a starter mix and keep mix moist. The cuttings should root within a few weeks. You will know by the new growth that begins on the cutting. You then can plant the cutting up in a pot with normal potting mix. I use Miracle Grow for Catus, Palms, and Citrus. The Desert Roses seem to love it and grow like crazy for me in this mix.

Step 3:
The pruning is completed. Now if your plant doesn't need repotting. Place it back in the same spot you originally got it from and leave it alone. Make sure that the soil is moist and just forget about it. In about a week or so you will notice new leaves beginning to sprout and a new branch will not be far behind. I would start fertilizing when you see new growth. A good rose food helps, or even a bloom booster. The next watering use epsoms salts, 1 Tablespoon to 1 gallon of water, the next 2 waterings just plain water. Repeat the waterings for the whole growing season. If you notice that the plants seems to put forth a lot of greenery and no buds cut back on the fertilizing and just water as normal. If you are not comfortable with this much fertilizing use the Osmocote for flowering plants. This is from my own personal experience and by no means a proven science.
Ok on with the repotting.
Take your pruned plant from it's pot carefully.

Step 4:
Remove all soil from the plants roots as gently as possible. I do this so that I know that the plants roots are coming into contact with the new soil and nutrients. I have found that the plant grows new shoots sooner than when it is left in it's old root ball. Also the removing of the old soil helps you to see the shape of the caudex and if there is any rot, or disease in the plant. I don't find to many pest in the US that like these plants due to their toxicity.
Once all the lose soil is romoved I then wash the remainder of the roots under a gentle shower of water and remove all traces of soil as best I can.

Step 5:
The plant is now ready to be transplanted into its new home. This is where a lot of people get confused about the new size of pot that needs to be used. I try to get a pot that is a bit bigger than the old pot and then sometimes you have to go to 2 sizes up from the old pot. It just depends on how root bound the plant was when you began.
Desert Roses seem to like to be root bound just a bit and grow well. This also keeps us over enthusastic gardeners from over watering. Desert Roses hate to be wet. They can be fickle. In summer they like to stay moist and humid when the weather is hot.In winter they like to stay dry if the weather is cold.
Plant up your Desert Rose and leave about half of a inch more above the soil line then in the old pot. This is to give character to the caudex and give it a funky look to your plant. Every caudex is different and unique to each plant. Trim off all exposed roots that show above the soil line.

Step 6:
The repotting is done. Water the plant in well and do not fertilize for at least the first 3 months as there is fertilizer in the new soil. To all you newbys this is what I recommend. I am going to go a differant route and see if I can force bloom these guys. Be sure to keep the plant for at least the first several weeks out of direct sunlight as the newly exposed caudex will sunburn and you could cause scarring and a possible rot spot to form on the caudex. Not a good thing. Enjoy your new plant and watch how it will branch out for you.

I hope everyone liked this little demostration and that it is a big help to some. Please PM me with questions or post your questions here. I would love to be able to help if I can. If I don't know the answer I will find out for you.
Enjoy and happy planting!
Thanks, Mickey's Rose Yours is the best information I've found! Please let me know if there is anything else I should do immediately to help save my plants.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Acorn

Thank you so much Mickey Rose! Great tutorial. Now I can cut, and replant my Desert Roses.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:34 PM
Acorn

That was a great tutorial. Thank you. Does anyone have cuttings or seeds of Desert Rose to share? I have never had one, and would like to try and grow one! TIA
Old 09-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Acorn

Desert Rose Seeds

Hi Oodazma.
If you want some desert rose seeds just send your address to my email..
*** and I'll send some as soon as I get home because at the moment I away..
Cheers
Aussievet

*** edited in accordance with forum rules
please only exchange private contact info (including email addresses) in Private Messages - thanks

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 09-23-2017 at 08:51 PM..
-->