Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Cacti / Succulents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Acorn

I am not too familiar with the care of these plants, mine was there when I bought the house. I have never ever ever put any fertilizer or water or trim and the plant has been great all the way until a few months ago when we had severe rain for about a week straight non-stop that made a bad affect on the tree....a side of the tree started rotting which was coming from one of the giant roots on that same side. Since my plant is huge and I can't really re plant it we just dug under the caudex and filled it in with rocks to prevent moisture from staying there like if we were uprooting the tree and it looks like the plant is OK now.

You can read about these trees and get a lot of advise from this website www.tropicanursery.com, they are located I believe in India and gave me a very good advise about the plant which made it work excellent, just contact them and ask but for sure they told me once that winter is not a good time to do any replant or prune these trees so contact them.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
Don - The best time in my experience is Spring when you see new growth growing, to prune and repot these guys. If you don't want the plant to get bigger you can keep it in the same pot and just give it all new dirt. These guys like full sun and it is best to gradually get them use to it before just placing them directly in full sun from a protected place. The spot you described sounded like a good place once your warm weather returns. In summer a monthly regimen of fertilizer is also good.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Don..MR is right the best time to prune is in the spring, however you can prune now if you want to without hurting the plant as long as you are not allowing the plant to go dormant for winter. If it is in active growth you can prune it. Spring is best because the plant can be outdoors in the sun and will be in its natural strong growth time. This is when you would start to feed it also.
Desert roses need full sun, they need to have at least 8 hours of strong sun every day in the summer, morning sun alone is not really going to be enough. It will grow leggy and likely not bloom as well. Sounds like your watering is good, they like to dry out between waterings.

nanacita I remember reading about your DR outside and seeing the pics of it, that was a pretty amazing feet you did there, I hope your plant is doing well now.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 AM
Acorn

Hello....yes the tree survived, now a twin seed pot came out and new flowers are starting to show up. I did planted some of the branches I cut off and one og them grew a flower but the flower was so tiny.....at leat it looks like those sick branches are starting to grow, the tips are starting to turn a little green....they were like dead grey.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Acorn

Thanks for all the replies...

Thanks for all the responses so far....

The spot I have it in now is probably the best place in the house for any sun. I live with my brother and I am basically the "housekeeper" as he is gone a lot for work. He is doing me a favor in letting me stay here and I don't pay any rent or anything... except that I do a lot of the house work and yard work. In the colder months up here in Michigan... he keeps the indoor temperature around 61 degrees. Yeah... it sounds cold but we just wear sweatshirts and sweatpants all the time in the house. So that is the temperature the plant is living with over the colder months. When I do move it outside on the patio when it warms up... it again will probably be the best place for the most sun. Unfortunately.... the house is in amongst a stand of pine trees and there is a lot of sun that is blocked out. He actually had about 15 pine trees cut down that were really close to the house so that he would not get pine needles on the roof and also to let more light in around the house.

I have had this plant flowering a number of years back... but it did have a lot of sun back then. I lived in an apartment that had a southeast facing sliding glass doors out to a small deck (with NO tree interference)... so that was almost ideal. As you probably surmise... I get the blossoms to start... but then die off. We shall see how it goes come this spring.

As for now.... I will probably prune the plant come the beginning of April... and keep watering every 10 days or so. I will also re-pot this spring too... give it a couple weeks to get use to the new pot... and then prune.

I need to get a USB card reader for my photo card that is in my older digital camera. When I do that... I will take some photos and post them here.... and everyone can make suggestions after I post the photos. Maybe we can make this a GROUP project!!!

Thanks again everyone for the help. I would love to get this thing flowering again to see those beautiful white/pink flowers!!!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Acorn

Thank you i have a couple i want to cut back ...they are so easy to grow from seed i have over 200 babys in pots cant wait to see what colour they will be
Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Acorn

Unhappyhelp with desert rose

so my plant had gotten very tall and leggy so I did the deed and cut it back. That was about 3 weeks ago. I have only the slightest of little green buds growing, nothing that looks promising. Should I have cut the branches closer to the trunk? Any advice is welcome - I've been babying this plant since my first son was born 7 years ago and would heart broken if she doesn't bounce back!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Acorn

I just bought a Desert Rose today

Hi,
I hope this thread is still active.
I bought a Desert Rose today, and I'm hoping to find tips on how to take care of it.
It was very dry, and a few leaves had fallen off, so I did water it.
The pot has a hole in the bottom, and I watered until the water came out, I hope that was ok.
The only place here where I live that gets good sun is my west window.
I have it there, Is that a good place for it?
I live in lower SE Michigan, and I think that makes me Zone 6a.
Another question I have is how often, and how much(or little) water to give it in the winter?
Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Bush

I am new to these myself, but a west facing window should be fine. As long as the soil it is planted in is free draining. Do not water again until it has dried back. I tend to go buy weight of very dry to moist (after watering). This works for me with my plants.
Through out the winter you will only water sparingly and from what I am told loosing leaves to dormancy can be normal.
Check out the Adenium & Pachypodium Group. Join group and check out info there. You are not committed to anything by joining.
I am sure that some will check in.
RC
Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Acorn

Hi Richard,
thanks for the tips.
The tag that came with the plant said water once a week.
Is it ok to let it dry out first, then water?
I'll check out the group you mentioned.
I'm hoping it does well here.
It is a odd looking plant.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Acorn

desert rose

can you post an up dated pic of your desert rose after pruning?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Bush

Sorry, It has taken so long to respond.
Yes, definitely allow to dry back between watering and watering will be a minimum, unless you lived in a very warm climate all year round.
If winter months are cold, has to be inside and watering very infrequent.
All of this is so subject to what type of soil you have it planted in.
Mine are in a very free draining soil. 50% Turface/30% coarse coconut fibre/
20% composted manure (old).
I love these plants and am learning so much. I love everything, leaves,caudex
and flowers. All unique in there own way.
RC
Old 09-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Acorn

Desert Rose

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the info.
I do have it inside, it's by a west window, with curtains and miniblinds. It seems to be doing ok so far.
I turn it every few days so it grows even. The leaves turn toward the light.
I haven't repotted it as of yet, it's still in the growing medium it came in.
I looked around on the internet, and some websites say the leaves drop in the winter, some sites say the leaves stay on, so I'm not sure about that.
I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that it makes it through the winter, so I can put it on the front porch probably around the middle of May.
I don't know what color the flowers will be, as there were no blooms when I bought it.
Do you have a Desert Rose, and what is yours like?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Bush

Most of mine did not loose their leaves last winter, but if they do they will be fine. I think getting them outside in a protected, but sunny location as early as possible is good. You will do fine with them. If it does go dormant just ayr on
the cautious side with watering. If the caudex starts to get a bit soft, give it a little drink.
I have 4 more older plants and about 50 or so 9-10 month old seedlings to carry over the winter (mixed species).
If I can help, just ask. Still learning myself. I have had a tremendous amount of help from people on this forum, especially RR, the Adenium Guru.
RC
Old 11-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Acorn

Hi Richard,
Thanks for replying.
The caudex is still firm, so I haven't watered it since September when it started losing leaves. It still has a few leaves left on it. I keep an eye on it.
I'm glad you're having good luck with yours.
-->