Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Cacti / Succulents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
lcg4

I would wait until there is a good warming trend and then prune back. I am thinking of doing mine in Feb as it will start to warm up here then, with the occasional cold night here and there to be had. All of my Desert Roses are in the green house and those shouldn't affect them to much.

If yours is very leggy a hard pruning will not hurt the plant, you might want to wait and see what has been damaged by the frost and then pune back behind the damage.

Pruning will help to make the Adenium branch out more and flower more heavily. It also helps with making the Caudex, or base of the plant become thicker and widen out more. When you prune you might want to also repot if it has been awhile since you have done that. Even if it is into the same pot as with very large plants it will help control their growth and size. Adeniums make wonderful bonsai plants.

When you do the pruning it would be great to see before and after shots. Thank you for asking me the questions.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:01 AM
Vegetable Garden

Hello lcg4 and first of all, welcome to Plantswap

being in Central Florida, I can say my desert roses drop the leaves but that's about it. As soon as it warms up again, new leaves appear. Yours should be just fine .... don't you agree MR?

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 01-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Bush

Send a message via Yahoo to SunnyDayGirl
Thanks MR...that is great news for me as I will be starting with all that very soon. I am soooo excited!!!!

KARMA....remember that in life, you get what you give!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
GT - yes the plant will be all right. Leaf drop is usually from the plant going into dormancy from being exposed to cold temps or a lack of water over a long period. It should start to leaf out once temps come back up and stay there. Remember if the leaves have dropped cut back on all watering. Watering now could cause rot and you could possibly lose the plant all together.

Your welcome Sunny.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 AM
Vegetable Garden

sorry MR, I did not mean anything bad by answering the Q. won't happen again

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 01-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Hey no problem GT I wasn't offended that you answered the question, thank you for stepping in. I by no means am a expert at anything it is all by experience only. I am learning just like everyone else. I love to hear anyone elses experiences with these plants. Even though I might have success at raising these guys I might be going at it all wrong and just have come up lucky with growing them as well as I have. I welcome all comments and suggestions on growing, pruning, fertilizing Adeniums.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Sprout

Please Help Me with My Little Adeniums

I have a little seedling that is two years old. I started the seed in a seed starting mix, and after it had a couple of leaves I potted it in cactus soil. It is still only about 2 inches tall with not so good looking leaves. It has a nice big trunk, but I cannot seem to get it to grow. I started several more seeds from the same batch of seeds, over 2 years old, and they have all sprouted and still in the starting mix. What do I need to do? I will try and add pictures later,or if you don't mind I posted the pictures in my flower album.

Thanks
John

Last edited by bugnut; 05-09-2010 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: Trying to add photos
Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Acorn

any one have a desert rose for postage ? they are amazing looking .

Last edited by gardeningmom; 07-25-2010 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: removed offer of purchase per forum rules
Old 07-24-2010, 01:34 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

John how is your adenium doing now? Sorry you didnt get your guestion answered.

Adeniums need a good well draining mix that wont hold water for to long as they are a succulent plant and prone to rot. The commercial cactus mixes are not the best for them. They need lots of sun and heat to thrive best. They also need a good fertilizer. After 2 years it should be growing lot more then that. I have 6 month old seedlings over 2 inches.

What do you have them potted in and how big a pot? Do you have them outside in the sun or inside? If you can have them outside that is best as the free air flow is very good for them also. Feel free to PM me anytime if you like and I will try to help you much as i can.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Tree

wow, I don't have a dessert rose, although I have two rose bushes in containers, which I'll leave outside. I know that I'll need to prune them, and am wondering should i do so in the fall or spring? we get alot of wind in the winter where I live and I know I'll need to move the containers to the other side of the house so the wind doesn't damage them. This is my first year growing the roses.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Sprout

I finally chopped my Adeniums back. They were pushing a foot tall and no branching. I then re-potted them in Cactus, Palm and Citrus soil. I hope I didn't kill them.
I did plant 7 Hip-Hop seeds, and four of them has sprouted.
I also have about 20 seedlings that are unknown, that are doing really well. I must at some time in the near future get one of these plants to bloom.

(Also can someone tell me how to post a picture, instead of just the URL. Thanks.......John)

** edited to make the image show, instead of just the URL code

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 03-26-2011 at 10:54 AM..
Old 04-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Blade of Grass

Rot on bottom of caudex

I just unpotted a small one and there is rot on the bottom. I just left it out of soil for now to let it air out. Should I cut this out? Will it survive this?
I have become addicted to adeniums and have acquired about 10 new ones just this MONTH!! Most are in 1 gallon pots, two in 2 gallon pots and several in small 4 inch pots.
They are so much fun!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Acorn

UnhappyDwarf Desert Rose "Adenium Obesum - Hybrid"

I have a very old (20 years old) Dwarf Desert Rose also known as "Adenium Obesum - Hybrid" (won't grown over 6' tall). This plant has been great but now it started to rot, I believe it might be due to 5 days straight of excessive amount of rain. I removed some branches straight from the caudexes that were soft and mushy but I wonder if I can replant some healthy branches or even better save the tree...Please help me with this.
Thanks !

Old 10-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Esteemed Nut

I do not know anything about DR ( I am a succulent and cactus person) but I would thing that getting in there and cutting out the branch and cutting back to good flesh, even if it means cutting into the caudex. and then sprinkling with cinnamon or sulfur. It looks like it is too large to dig up and dry out. I might build a structure above the cut to keep moisture off the cut for a week so it can callus.

Gorgious plant. You can root the cuttings also.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Acorn

UnhappyRotting Dwarf Desert Rose "Adenium Obesum - Hybrid"

Yes, this plant is very big to dig up and replant, roots are huge.
We had excessive rain for 5 days straight nonstop which I think is the main reason for this tree to start rotting. Now I see that most of the branches have this green mildew looking spots all over and I wonder if this is something that I can take off or if it is because of the excessive moisture building up inside the plant that is causing it.

-->