Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Cacti / Succulents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
I notice that the Pink one has seed pods on it. Were you able to keep the seeds and plant them?
Old 07-11-2009, 07:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to smurfy Send a message via Yahoo to smurfy
I saved the seeds but god knows where they went. I couldn't believe how big the pods got! each one was about 9" long. Aren't the tops of those plants grafted to the bottom of a different plant?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
Probably not the type you have as the colors you have a revery common and suppliers breed them by the thousands for just that purpose, for grafting. The super hybrids never breed true from seed so they take scions of the hybrid plants and graft them on to the common bases and make new hybrid plants that way. That is why the new varieties that just hit the market are so expensive and so few in number.

I am sorry about the seeds. If you don't plant them fresh you most likely will not get anything from them. They do not stay viable for very long once they are ripe.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Flowering Shrub

MR, Thanks for the demostration. I enjoyed it.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mickeys_rose View Post:
Probably not the type you have as the colors you have are very common and suppliers breed them by the thousands for just that purpose, for grafting. The super hybrids never breed true from seed (or any other Desert Rose), so they take scions of the hybrid plants and graft them on to the common bases and make new hybrid plants that way. That is why the new varieties that just hit the market are so expensive and so few in number.

I am sorry about the seeds. If you don't plant them fresh you most likely will not get anything from them. They do not stay viable for very long once they are ripe.
Smurfy here is your answer to your question ^, BTW that is how new varieties are made by just sowing new seeds.

missg- Thank you I am glad that you found it helpful.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:43 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
hello everyone.
this is my adenium.
brought it over from taiwan and in 3-4 years it has never bloomed. in the summer i took it to my parents house and outside in the sun, it actually bloomed.
was splendid.
q:
should i trim it? now it's winter here and well, even if it still got some leaves, it's not growing anymore. till spring comes back.
but. some of you said the cuttings won't show in a few years. well, there is a cutting mark between the two branches. and it's still obvious.
i am not sure two cuttings more will enhance its beauty.
what do you think???
Old 11-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

calin - It is very nice Adenium. They love sun and heat.

I wouldn't do anything with it until Spring with the pruning. It will help to bring out more leaves in Spring time when you do finally prune it back. The cuts that you see at the base are the healing scars from the graft. Most Adeniums are grafted as Adeniums never come true from seed and the most popular varieties are massed produced by grafting. Don't cut past those marks or you will lose the pretty flowers that you see on the plant now.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

wow dont know how I missed this thread! That is a wonderful demonstration MR!

MR I have a somolace that is about 8 inches tall with just a single branch. If I cut it back will that help it branch more and get a thicker caudex?

RR
Old 11-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Yes it will help with both things. To also help with the caudex give a good fertilizer that promotes a healthy root system.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Bush

thanks mickey.
yes. was planning to wait till spring anyway.
it's just i'm gonna feel bad to cut those two branches.
but if that's a promise i will have 4 instead of 2, it's worthwhile.
and i heard even if i root the cuttings, new plants won't develop a thick caudex? as it's not from a seed.
is it true?
that fat caudex is also part of the deal.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:38 AM
Bush

just went home during lunch break and checked my plants. and adeniums as well.
when i get home it's nearly dark and i can;t see anything. it's winter and it gets dark really early.

well.. some good and some bad news.

the bad one: on my big adenium the only shoot it gave this summer is dying. the top two big ones are ok. nothing wrong with them. this small one, lower, on the thick caudex, is soft and leaves turned brown. the area around is hard. not getting soft. what could be WRONG???

the good one: two seedlings from last year (got seeds from a trade) are in the same pot (saving space and i wanna see if they bloom differently, would look great together) anyway... one of them has got little buds on very top. i am not sure they will actually get to bloom... not the right time, conditions etc
not sure you can see them

it's really not the right time: less light, no sun, etc....

anwyay... just wanted to share this with you...
Old 11-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

calin - the little branch looks to be below the graft line and you really don't want that to grow anyhow as the rootstocks flowers will be different than the grafted branches. The rootstock can also take over and over power the grafts, just like on a Rose. I would cut if off with a sharp clean pair of shears, the scar will heal all right. Sometimes Adeniums will shed their leaves when they been subjected to periods of cold or to long without water, it puts the plant into hibernation and isn't anything to worry over. If you plants for whatever reason lose their leaves don't panic unless you notice that the Caudex is soft. A soft caudex means a dead plant. Anyhow when the plant loses its leaves cut back on water and water maybe 1x a month very lightly. When your weather warms up and you begin to see new growth start back with normal watering and fertilizing.

Also cuttings will eventually form a caudex it takes awhile and you have to coax it to come out. You do that by exsposing the roots below soil line each time you transplant. The caudex might not be as great looking as a seed grown plant but it will form one over time. Make sure to let the sutting callous over, by just letting them sit and air dry for a few days before planting in a good medium. Some root right away and some take months to root. I had one to take over several months to root off. You will know when the cutting is rooted when you give a gentle tug and there is resistance.

That is great about the seedling blooming, sometimes they will get bud drop so try not to let the plant dry out to much if possible. It is hard to say why some plants bloom when they do and others of the same seed batch wait several yrs. It is a great thing to see it blooming. I have one in my GH that has buds on it and I am praying that I get to see 1 bud flower i will be a very happy gardener!! Thank you for sharing that!

Last edited by mickeys_rose; 11-27-2009 at 09:39 AM..
Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 AM
Bush

thanks mickey. good info.
i am also excited. it's from seeds i bought from another forum.
can't wait to see what color the blooms are.
will take awhile.
buds still kinda small and light green.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Flower

Send a message via MSN to Patricia531 Send a message via Yahoo to Patricia531
Just the information I needed. Thank you so much for taking your time to share it with us.

Blessings, Patricia
Old 01-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Acorn

frost damage

Hi MR, my desert rose got frost damage and now all the leaves have turned brown and are falling off. I live in S. Florida so this was unusual weather for here. Should I prune it back now to save the plant. It is quite tall as it is and did need pruning anyway. Any help would be appreciated. I'm desperate to help this plant I don't want to lose it!
-->