Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Cacti / Succulents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Acorn

QuestionMother of thousands plant

I had this plant for 3-4 years, I want to see it flower then I'm not keeping anymore. It spends summers outside but winters indoors. As you can see in the pic it's got no leaves on the bottom half. I've got it supported to stand because it's top heavy. It's no longer producing babies at this point, well very very few. I'd like to know when or what it looks like when it's going to flower? The top half is split into two stalks an from that point up its still green. However that point down is green/brown and dryer looking.? It's got roots sprouted at several points along the stalks.? If I cut the top down would it interfere with flowering or kill it off? Right now this plant is taller than my ceiling in my house, the very top looks different than the rest did when it grew. I was wondering if it's going to flower but I couldn't find any pics that show it right before flowering.? If anybody could help with any suggestions it would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.03 MB, 7 views)
Old 12-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Hi, and welcome!

There are others who are more experienced with succulents, and I hope that they will also see your post and respond.
Of course, this is a sort of a slow part of the gardening season, so it may take a bit for some of our members to reply.

Looking at your photo, I see what appears to be a rather spindly and stretched-out growth pattern which I associate with low light conditions, and these plants are bright light lovers.
Quote :
... the very top looks different than the rest did when it grew.

I believe that he very top-most growth is showing the most stress because it is getting less light now that it is well above the level of your window.
Naturally, living in an area with cold winter temperatures, you cannot give your plant any outdoor time, so that is a problem that will either require the addition of artificial lighting .... or something more extreme.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that it will be likely to bloom under such stressed conditions, so if this were my plant, I would probably feel like I needed to cut it into several smaller sections and make a fuller pot rather than a taller one.
Here is a link to another thread in our forum which I think you might find interesting, the poster was coping with much the same situation as yours:
mother of thousands care
They describe there about making the cuttings, allowing them to callus, getting new roots started and then potting up.

Good luck and happy growing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.2 KB, 70 views)

Old 12-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Zuzu is right it is very elongated from the lack of good light for this light loving plant. And yes it will not bloom under that kind of conditions.

I have a solution for you though for now. Cut it back, about half way down the stock cut it and leave it in a nice sunny window. it will get more light this way and when it starts to grow again in a week or so it will branch from the cut point to form a bushier plant. The leaves are showing a lot of stress in the downward position. water this plant once a week and let it get so that it is ALMOST dry between waterings. You can use a wooden scewer to test the dampness of the soil..stick it in the pot all the way down to the bottom and pull it back straight out and see if there is any soil attached..if the soil is attached it still has enough moisture...check again in a couple days. Winter is a time of dormancy for a lot of succulents and cactus..this does not mean it wont grow but it will grow slower and need less. So dont feed it in winter just give lots of good sunlight and water weekly. Be sure it has very well draining soil.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:39 PM
Sprout

Just had to say I've never seen this grown indoors or get so tall. Congratulations for those great accomplishments! I agree with others that it needs a serious haircut & some filtered sun. My many potted succulents are on a covered patio getting 4 hours of east morning sun a day plus bright light the rest of the day. In Autumn they experience the shorter days of light & temp changes & are only covered & protected when temp gets lower than 36*. About mid January they send out stems of buds that flower in Feb thru March in our mild Winters of zone 9. It's Christmas / New Years time & my 8 colors of Holiday Cactuses have been gorgeous this year. We are having 60's & 70's & still no frosty or freezing 30's. The other thing your plant will do after you trim it is send out new root sprouts all around those single stems. We hate to prune sharply but you get a bushier plant rejuvenated to send out new leaves & start a flowering cycle.
I hope this encourages you to do what's best for the plant. Succulents are so forgiving & durable. Happy New Year & be Well, Safe & Happy in 2016, Trudy
Old 12-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Acorn

This plant isn't always inside, all its time is spent outdoors until right before a frost(which we got a night of early this year). Once I bring it inside it usually slows down growth to nearly nothing however this year it didn't. I have since did away with the entire plant and only kept the teens/babies that had dropped an grew. My father in law and I both want to see one flower. He had a bunch of them in his greenhouse but lost them and the ones I've got are all we have now.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Tree

http://pin.it/1H_h_0e

This is an old photo of one of my MOM's aka mother of millions
Old 12-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Tree

Your MOT is amazing Pudina! I've never seen one that tall. If you decide to prune it down I hope you'll post some pics of the results, I'd love to see how it does for you. I wish you lots of luck on getting a bloom!
Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Forest

Smile

I SEE MY CHARMED WINE OXALIS IN THAT PHOTO.
Arent they cool?
-->