Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Cacti / Succulents

Old 07-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Tree

Growing Lithops from seed

I am growing Lithops from seed for the first time. They're three weeks old and I haven't killed them yet, yay! I had a couple questions for those of you who have grown these from seed before. I've read up on the process but nothing beats first hand experience.

1. Should I add more sand around the babies to give them more stability, or do you think they'll grow fine like they are?

2. I know seedlings need more water than an adult lithops would and that the babies may split and send up new growth several times before they reach adulthood. So how will I know when it's the right time to back off on the watering? (Right now I've been watering from the bottom once a week and spritzing a little daily.)

3. Lastly, they are in about 2 inches of soil, will this be fine for them to stay in til adulthood (quite the optimist, aren't I!)?

Any advice would be welcome! Pic below of my wee little babies...

Lithops seedlings - 3 wks old

Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Flower Garden

they are very pretty but i know nothing about a lithop or what they are never had one before nor seen one before
Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Flower Garden

They look terrific, Sherie!

I've grown them from seed many times and there's nothing to them, frankly. You don't need sand and special soil either, if you don't want to be bothered. Any well-draining soil works well. Nice that you're treating them so special though...they looked very well-cared for.

I pretty much treat mine like I do the rest of my succulents. They just like to dry out between waterings and can even survive in bone dry soil for a couple weeks if you want to wait extra long when they're older. Not when they're young though. Young succulent seedlings shouldn't be starved of water like older succulents are. When the soil looks dry for a couple days, I give my lithops seedlings some water to get them going.

Give them lots and lots of sunlight and leave them alone....best advice I can give.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Tree

You should look them up online RacoonBandit, they're really neat!

Hollyberrylady, thanks so much for the advice. I have some adult Lithops already, but growing them from seed is new for me. I'm hoping with so many seedlings that I'll be able to get at least a few through to adulthood, lol! I keep checking them every time I walk by, watching and waiting for the first signs of a little crease in the tops.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Flower Garden

Too funny, Sherie. You sound as obsessed as I am with my Japanese Red Maple cuttings!

I'm sure you're going to raise many to maturity....I have no doubt.

Relax and enjoy watching them grow.

They're also called "living stones", Raccoon.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Flower Garden

okay i will have to look them up and see how they are and thank you Sherie and Hollyberry for not thinking i am a total dummy
Old 07-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

Lithops are fun to grow and really easy for the most part..but there are MANY differant kinds and they do not all take the same care..some are much harder to grow then others. I have 11 differant varieties of lithops babies right now from seed and of those 11 3 are very difficult to grow and I only have a couple of each of those ones while I have pot fulls of the others.

Lithops as adults have a very specific life cycle of dormancy in summer and growth in fall and winter were they create new bodies...they should be watered well in August before they go dormant and then only waetred slightly during the growing time untill April..then they should not have water at all again until the following August. They are winter growers and if watered during the summer dormancy they have a good chance of rot and also it will throw off their life cycle for growing.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Flower Garden

thank you for the information and really appreciate it and thank you for sharing
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Tree

Thanks for the info RiverRock. . As newly sprouted seedlings, I read that they require more water than the adult lithops though, how do you know when they get to the point where you should start watering (not watering) as an adult plant? Should you back off on the water once you see them getting ready to split for the first time? Or do you water your seedlings the same you do the adult ones? I don't want to kill mine, lol! Right now, they seem to like being kept moist.

Last edited by Sherie0001; 07-11-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Old 07-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Flower Garden

Maybe ours are just tougher and hardier...because I've under-watered, over-watered, bestowed all kinds of other abuses and neglects on my various lithops plants throughout the years, but not one of them have ever died or rotted on me. I also water mine in summer too.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

Sherie you do need to water the seedlings more never let them stay dry for long. Once they have come to a year old and are going through the natural life cycle they have that is when you start the natural water cycle for them. Keeping them on their natural cycle will keep them natural as well..the way nature intended them to be and it will ensure a healthy growth and transformation with blooms each year.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Flower Garden

Yours must be just stunning, RiverRock. Love to see some shots!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

I will get some pics of my babvies today if i get a chance...thank you I do love them.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Flower Garden

I can tell you love them...by how well you care for them. I like keeping them all in one pot so they can grow together.

There's this one nursery here that gets some really cool colored ones every Autumn...I always check them out. How much does your nurseries charge for them, Sherie and RiverRock? Here they go for around $3.00 to $6.00.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Tree

Thank you so much RiverRock, thats exactly what I was wondering! I tend to fuss over my plants a lot and I know at some point I'm going to have to resist the urge to hover and just let these go and do their own thing. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Last edited by Sherie0001; 07-11-2014 at 11:55 AM..
-->