Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Cacti / Succulents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2015, 07:59 AM
Acorn

Desert Rose help needed

I have a Desert Rose that I froze this last winter. I had it outside at the wrong time and the plant died. I attempted to cut it back as you would other plants and of course, that only made matters worse. I did however leave a couple of the longer limbs alone. Now I have growth at the ends of those limbs
The trunk is dead and seems to be rotting (falling into itself anyway). The limbs are solid for several inches before the growth.
This may sound stupid, but what do I do? I was thinking of cutting and attempting to re-root off the cutting (like you would another plant), but my thinking has failed before. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hi, and welcome. I am sorry that your plant got so badly damaged.

If I understand what you are describing correctly, I think that the only way that you can hope to save the living parts of your Adenium will be to remove all of the unhealthy tissue from the pieces which are still healthy and growing. Even a small amount of unhealthy tissue which remains will very possibly keep the rotting process going - so it will be important for you to be sure that even the tools that you use are extremely clean throughout the procedure so that you are not re-contaminating the pieces which you are trying to keep alive.

Once you have managed to rescue the disease-free pieces, you will need to give them some time to callous over at the cut ends before replanting them (that usually occurs within 2-5 days, depending) - A dusting of an anti-fungal wouldn't be a bad idea either, IMO (I actually use fresh ground cinnamon as it has anti-fungal properties).
When the time does come, pot the cuttings in a sterile, gritty, fast-draining medium and be prepared to keep a close watch on the moisture levels, especially as you wait for good new root growth to become established.

One other point, Adeniums grown from cuttings can become lovely plants which flower nicely - but if your prime interest in the plant is the caudex, then you may never be entirely satisfied with plants grown from cuttings.

I hope that helps, and that you can save some of your desert rose - it's a learning experience, either way.

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 06-25-2015 at 12:15 PM..
-->