Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Cacti / Succulents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Acorn

QuestionDesert Rose flowers

Hello everyone, I have a question I hope someone can help me with.
I have two desert rose plants, one old the other new. Both are very healthy and doing well, except for one thing, they both developed large flower buds, but now that they are opening, the flowers are slightly deformed. The flower petals are very elongated and only have color on the ends.
The older one has flowered before and never had this problem. Can't imagine what I did wrong, possibly too much fertilizer?

Help please!

Barbara
Old 04-30-2016, 07:32 PM
Bush

Barbara,
This is common and definitely not something you have done wrong. I have had this on a few of mine and then the subsequent blooms are fine. Not sure why, but some say to make sure that your fertilizer has all the micronutrients and definitely 'Boron'. I like to use a fertilizer that has ratios such as 9-3-6 or 24-8-16. The Nitrogen is not too high in these fertilizers. Desert Roses typically need higher levels of 'K' than they do 'P'.
I like to feed mine when they are really active in the summer months atleast once a week with a 1/2 strength recommended dose. If watering more than once a week, then they get plain water in between.
Hope some of this helps you.
RC
Old 07-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Acorn

The first buds of the season can be duds. Practice blooms, if you will. The rest should be good.
I use fertilizer with a low first number (10 or less) and a high middle number. That middle number is for blooming.
During these hot months I use it every week.
-->