Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Cacti / Succulents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Tree

Originally Posted by Richard Charles View Post:
Just had another thought after making my last post.
I received some vary interesting Adeniums seeds and wondered if there are any people that would like to do a grow out of sorts?
If I was to do it, it would not be until the New Year.

Just a thought.
RC
Sounds like lots of fun RC! I am gonna start looking for some seeds!
Old 12-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Bush

TRB, if you or others are interested. I can give some seeds to a small group of people.
RC
Old 12-16-2014, 04:15 AM
Tree

TRB, if you or others are interested. I can give some seeds to a small group of people.
RC

If you dexide to do it, i would be interested.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Blossom

I want to show off my plants!

I have some to show you - I have these 2 aloe barbadens that I got from a lady who had a MASSIVE mother plant, and she had some very large baby plants (larger than my plants are currently) in a pot on her back porch, and they were growing lots of babies. I was sitting with her on her back porch, and I just happened to say I liked that plant, and she gets up and just rips out three of the babies and puts them in a bag and says, "Here!" That's just how she was - generous. I lost one as the tap root was not long enough, but the other two have stuck with me through 3 moves in 2 years and the mistreatment that comes along with that. I was trying to do an artistic shot with that pic of the one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010720.JPG (856.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-16-2014, 10:12 AM
Blossom

aloes and etc

That is sand on it, btw, I totally just went and brushed it off, lol. I have them potted up with cactus mix, and the kids' play sand on top.

I also have a very large pink Christmas cactus that is an heirloom to my husband's family, and the reason why I am so obsessed with them. I started this plant as a cutting - a soft, fresh green cutting, not an old wood one - in 2005, and it is already over 2 feet wide with thick, wide woody stems!!! It loves me, so I love it! I have started lots of littler pots of it, and I plan to give away some on Christmas to the family. I also start them to trade away :-) but I have discovered with Bali and Tomsrosebud that now is NOT a good time to send cuttings, lol!!!

On the microwave cart which is now my plant stand, I have various cuttings I am rooting and things going on, including Orchid cactus cuttings, Ric Rac cactus cuttings, Dragon Fruit seedlings (tiny green dots in 2 pots, and I started them in July or August), Devi's Backbone, the shriveled up dead looking things is not dead, it is a hydrengea cutting I was growing in water and shoved into dirt and it is pouting but sending up new growth from the roots, String of Pearls cutting is doing OK - I murder them pretty easily, next to it is String of Buttons that is dying and I had already removed the String of Bananas cutting that died :-( I'm not good with them! I do overwater them too much. There is also a lantana cutting, Streptocarpella, coleus seedlings, "Fiber Optic Grass" - that is dead now, and I took this pic last week - it used to be outside with the mamma plant until fall, but they died anyhow as houseplants, they are annual here in Ohio. Let's see, there's also red Oxalis which I love, and empty pots ready for Holiday cactus cuttings!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010712.JPG (780.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P1010711.JPG (836.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010728.JPG (841.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Blossom

more . . .

I also have a Rhipsalis - and I was wondering if Firesticks is a Rhipsalis? I will have to research that plant! My Rhipsalis is very slow growing, not sure if they all are, but this one has had some major set-backs, and almost completely died. But it grew a lot over the summer while perched outside - it really loved that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010721.JPG (797.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Flower Garden

very pretty Queen Gardener they all look so nice
Old 12-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Blossom

Moving is hard on plants! But they are really thriving here, now that they are settled in.

Sorry for the non-succulent stuff on the cart, but I thought I'd ID everything in case people were curious. I guess Streptocarpella is a succulent, which probably makes my Purple Passion Vine a succulent too. Also Rosary Vine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010725.JPG (802.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Blossom

So I guess I have a large succulent collection . . . they do well for me. Except the String of whatever plants. I've already killed off a large plant of it I got at Lowes several years ago, and I got the cuttings of Pearls and Buttons and Bananas (which was awesome and I want to try again) from a lady who probably thought I should give it another try. I will have to be more careful about the watering next time!
I have been curious about Kalanchoe, but I just haven't gotten around to seeing if I would kill it or not. See, some plants love me, and some don't. Like Norfolk pine - I love them, but they don't love me. Don't ask how many I've killed. I don't know why. They thrive for a while, they have new growth, then they die. Maybe it was the change of seasons, my watering, the lighting in the room, repotting or not repotting . . . hard to say, but I'm done with them an African Violets. Killing them was a childhood pastime you could say, as I'd buy another and another and another but they never would stay alive. I was even given a really nice AV pot for a present one year. The Streptocarpella loves me, so I don't know . . . I just accept it as it is, and continue with the plants that love me. Succulents and epiphytes are the majority of my collection, a few others.

Well, I've taken up enough of this thread!!! Let's see some other pics!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:25 AM
Bush

Very nice collection of plants, QueenGardener. Keep posting, take all the space you like. Really enjoy.
I think that the Rhipsalis and the firsticks (Euphorbia) may look similar, but the cultivar of Rhipsalis usually has dots on the stems, where the Euphorbia will not.
From what I remember.
RC
Old 12-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Blossom

I guess rhipsalis blooms? Mine never has, it hasn't gotten the chance, but maybe in the coming years it will. It has grown a lot this summer, after nearly dying completely - there were two or three little twigs of it left 3 years ago. At our last place, I put a tension rod in the skylight, and put my ivies and the rhipsalis on it, and they really flourished. I miss that skylight, but I have a whole lot more growing room here!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Tree

You have so many interesting plants, QueenGardener! Loved seeing the pics, thanks for sharing them with us.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:08 PM
Tree

Very nice collection of plants, QueenGardener. Keep posting, take all the space you like. Really enjoy.
I think that the Rhipsalis and the firsticks (Euphorbia) may look similar, but the cultivar of Rhipsalis usually has dots on the stems, where the Euphorbia will not.
From what I remember.
RC

I agree with RC. I have both rhipsalis and firesticks and they are two totally different plants. Firesticks is a type of euphorbia. I have a few different rhipsalis, i am told anyway. Im not real sure if that is true but i do know that i have one just like yours queen.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

RC you better invite me to your grow out I would love to do this...I was even thinking of doing it again next spring. I love your adeniums buddy they are amazing and i would like to talk with you about your seed source also but we can do that privatly.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 AM
Bush

RR, I hope you are interested. I can always send the seed and some funds to cover mailing, if you are interested in heading it? I do not mind, but you are the one that got me so intrigued with these remarkable succulents.
RC
-->