Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Cacti / Succulents

Old 09-24-2014, 06:10 AM
Tree

Best way to send Ice Plant cuttings?

Has anyone sent Ice Plant (Delosperma specifically) cuttings in the mail before? I'm uncertain of the best way to send them and would love any advice on the matter. They'll be in a box with other plants and my first inclination would be just to put them straight from the plant to a ziplock bag - nothing covering the cut ends since they are a succulent.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Flower Garden

Yes Sherie, I have sent them a few times before with success. All I did was I placed them bare, into zip lock baggies. Moist paper towels aren't necessary.

Good luck.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sherie0001 View Post:
Has anyone sent Ice Plant (Delosperma specifically) cuttings in the mail before? I'm uncertain of the best way to send them and would love any advice on the matter. They'll be in a box with other plants and my first inclination would be just to put them straight from the plant to a ziplock bag - nothing covering the cut ends since they are a succulent.
A swapper sent me some tucked inside an empty paper towel tube - I thought that was really clever, and not a single stem got broken in transit, and no excess moisture buildup.
She just tucked the cuttings inside, and then folded the tube at both ends and taped it, which made it more rigid,
kinda like this:

Old 09-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Tree

The paper towel tube idea is AMAZING!! I received an item that way and there wasn't a knick on it!
Old 09-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Tree

That's a really great idea Zuzu, thanks so much! The moisture building up was what I was most worried about, one of my biggest trading fears is sending a bag of mush to someone, haha! But with succulents with a lot of tiny leaves, breakage can definitely be a problem too - I'll definitely be putting your idea to some good use.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:37 PM
Flower Garden

Zuzu, that is a fantastic suggestion.

I'm not sure but I don't think it takes too long for you ladies mail to reach each other within the US. Mine can take over a week to get to US destinations so anything paper might dry my cuttings out over a longer period...because paper draws moisture out. I find the ziplock bags keep my cuttings from losing moisture when they're travelling for longer periods.

But putting the succulent cuttings inside the baggies, completely soil-less and dry...is key to success. They will never arrive soggy, rotted, or wet.

I think your idea is terrific for shorter trips and I may start using it when I'm mailing within Canada. Thanks for the tip and the illustration too.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Flower

I know this is an old post, but I would wrap the plants in tissue paper to protect them from bouncing around in the paper towel roll and then put them in the roll. I LOVE the paper towel rolls and TP rolls for plant stuff , I use them all the time. I DON'T ever put succulents in ziplock bags, they tend to get to much humidity causing them to go to mush. I usually just add cushioning to the box then wrap them in paper toweling to send them and then tape them inside the box so they don't bounce around.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Flower

*too much humidity...

Sorry my grammar errors make me crazy LOL
-->