Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Esteemed Nut

My girlfriend in OKC got more rain in one week this summer than I have had all year. But she got hotter than I did by 2 degrees. LOL. We commiserate and moan competitively. Our drought started over a year ago. I have had 6 1/2 " of rain since september a year ago. Like now, you guys are getting rain and we get squat. I don't water at all because I am on rainwater. oops, I have been doing light waterings because this is the time that seeds germinate and I want some ipomopsis rubra.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Blade of Grass

So sorry, things will get better. I put up some pictures of my privets.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Esteemed Nut

I feel like I am cheating when I water. No one in my area waters any lawns. I see some soaker hoses on trees up by the houses and that is all , IF THAT. we are in an area where the water table is extremely threatened and most of us are now trucking in water or existing on substandard wells that are now close to undrinkable. It is better when one drops into the valleys. Water is expensive to truck in.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Blade of Grass

The neat thing is you can bloom where you are planted and be successful with what works in your area. I thank GOD for the internet and the wealth of information we can get off of it.

I came up with some water conservation ideas this summer that I still use. I wash my dishes in a tub of water with baking soda, and rinse in a tub with vinegar. The beauty of it is this is all edible so that you don't have to worry about wasting water to get the soap bubbles off; AND if you have to you can use the water for several days without changing it. It's such a pleasure to wash dishes naturally.

Baking soda is alkaline, and vinegar is acid so when they mix they are neutral. I would think it would be less harmful on greywater than soapy dish water. I also have a good spray bottle I fill with both solutions. I spray dishes with the Baking soda to let them soak, and I use the vinegar to clean counter, stoves, sink.

Have you come up with any water saving or collecting ideas to share? I am interested in harvesting rainwater. You never know when you may need such skills.

Last edited by PlantSwapCookie; 11-02-2011 at 08:06 AM..
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Esteemed Nut

We have a grey water system. we do not flush a lot. The kitchen water is used to water garden also, but distributed around, never on the flowers or vegetable garden. We are not always showered and clean as we would like to be. Water is cut off when brushing teeth. If it's yellow let it mellow and all that jive.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Blade of Grass

You could maybe take a spray bottle shower and towel dry. That would save tons of water and be a refreshing mist shower. The 4 ounce shower! and if you used baking soda water (instead of soap), you wouldn't even have to rinse. It would be easy to boil enough water, or distill the yellow water, in those small quantities daily.

Last edited by PlantSwapCookie; 11-02-2011 at 10:01 AM..
Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Esteemed Nut

YUCK, being so driven towards good is no fun.
-->