Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Esteemed Nut

Texan's, Okkies, Others, Lets Talk DRought

Willow needs to kevetch about this drought. I know I do. Well, I have been complaining all summer but it keeps going on. It just won't end. Stage three drought restrictions in most cities. I have my water trucked in since my cisterns are empty. Willow, Tell these guys what stage three means.

Forecast is that La Nina is here till FEBRUARY!!!!! That means no rain till February or very little.Last week I had a 1/3" . It was the first rain since june. Then I had 1/10th 2 nights ago. Now it is back to 104 and 15% humidity.

I haven't watered my trees EVER and I am going to truck in $90 (2200 gallons) so I can do one deep watering. another $90 (2200gallons) to keep on hand for fires. We had 25 MPH gusts to day while it was 15% humidity. I did not hear any sirens thank god. And $90 (2200 gallons ) to live on for the month. Things start to add up. True I am just going to hold onto the fire fighting water. the only thing I am watering is my containers and since they are mostly cactus, and YES , I am wateriing cactus and Aloes. Otherwise My 10 year old rosemary DEAD, Desert natives, DEAD, 6 yearold red bud tree DEAD, 10 yr old Salvia regla (desrt salvia) Dead, all my spices kninophia, xeric salvias, aloes not in pots, DEAD, columbine DEAD, AGAVE's DEAD. I don't really want to look out there. It is so depressing
Old 09-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Flowering Shrub

I just went outside to water my garden. I haven't watered in a couple of weeks so I'm surprised that anything is still alive. I just hate that La Nina is coming back. I went through the city of Plano's website and I didn't see any info on handwatering. I thought with a Stage 3 that would mean more limitations on watering. Here its every other week and the address determines the days to water (whether even or odd)
Old 09-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Blade of Grass

Hey y'all. Me, too. Me, too. I have to admit that I logged on today hoping there might be any plant swaps listed but the concept is fairly crazy considering the damned weather. When will the triple digit temps end?! I am so ready to overhaul my dry gulch, I mean garden, but it's crazy to think about planting anything now.
Marasri, glad to hear y'all didn't burn up in those recent fires in your area. What trying times...
Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Esteemed Nut

We had another fire last night at the Alamo set and Reimers ranch. 200+ acres. Lightening.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Flowering Shrub

Knock on wood....we haven't had any fires close by lately. Of course, it's just about burned everything in the Possum Kingdom area which is only about 15 miles from here. Praying hard for rain! Around here there are huge oaks that are dying. That's really shocking to know that some of these trees are probably a 100 years old & now dying because of lack of water. Weird thing is, we live on a lake & have had access to water for the yard all summer....Even though we have been watering a lot, things are still dying. It's like the heat has been so bad that even though things here have gotten water, the heat has just cooked everything.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Esteemed Nut

These cool fronts are bringing dry storms and are more than a bit frightening. This last one dumped an inch of hail in Llano but when it got here it was just a huge black cloud that looked like it was pouring rain but when I drove away from it I did see a large black rain column but it evaporated before it reached the ground. I have seen small "virga" clouds here but never a whole storm front line of storms that were virga. We just got sporadic fat drops touching ground. Not even enough to create a pattern of wet spots. I have seen this in the deserts of New Mexico and Arizona but not in Central Texas. I have been praying for cool fronts and now I am dreading them for their lightening and wind. Another one arrives today I think.

As to the oaks dying, That is weird. I am 700 ft above the lake and Pedernales river on a high hill and the escarpment live oaks look good up here. I think that their roots go so far down and they are small and need less moisture. Down lower, things are having a hard time. The Huge oaks in Austin in one area of town, look all dead. They are 300 + year old oaks on the clay cut bank to the Colorado river. I hope they are dormant. I PRAY that they are dormant. It must be that their roots were broken by shrinking clay.Spanish Oaks up here, are turning color and are going dormant 2 months early, though. My madrones are looking stressed.

I think I will start a dead plant photo series as a memorial to our gardens. when I do please all of add yours.

Last edited by marasri; 09-29-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Old 09-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Flowering Shrub

The dead plant series is a great idea. I'll start shooting some of the wonderful old trees around here that look like they have bought the farm. I hope, like you, that they have gone dormant early.....some may have, but I am afraid that many have just died.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Esteemed Nut

I also have a humorous idea for a drought thread that is a joking thing, too. More will be revealed later.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Sprout

Drought

Boy what a year to take up gardening again, its been so bad here in Young County...I tried to grow a few things but nothing is working...I water a few pieces in the yard just trying to keep the grass going...I had to pay 150.00 for a bale of hay this month...It really hurts the pocketbook...
Old 10-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Esteemed Nut

A girlfriend came over to borrow money so she could buy some hay for her horses. She had worked for me clearing woods this January and refused payment so I was happy to give it to her. She was in tears about the shame. I had to straighten her out over that. Lots of people are getting rid of their animals. They don't have the water or the hay. Times are tough and jobs are scarce. Another 900 acre fire in Bastrop today. I use to hate humidity. Now I want it back.

I saw over a hundred vultures massing at sunset yesterday and traveling up and down the ridge line that I live on. It was weird and beautiful.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Flowering Shrub

It's been 9 days since the great rain we got up here in North Central TX. Here at our house, my husband poured out 4 inches from our rain gauge at 7 Sat night & it continued to rain all night. The next morning we had another 3 3/4 inches. Thank the good Lord. Almost 8 inches in less than 2 days!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Esteemed Nut

We only got a 1 3/4 but it was enough to breathe a little green. I am seeing some re birth in some plants but many remain in a dead state. The ground is back to dust again and fire trucks just passed by the front heading west. I just heard that it was a motorcycle missing the turn on the low water crossing. they had 5 pieces of equipment and a helicopter. My heart is beating a little less fast. I feel for him but I know that I don't have to fear for me and my neighbors. We were all on the internet figuring out where the fire engines were turning and running down the source. Gotta love an active neighborhood google group. Everyone is on pins and needles. It is another red flag day. 40 mph winds and it is 25% , not in the teens like before but still bad.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Blade of Grass

Hope you all are doing better. We had the same conditions in OK but I think you had it worse. I pulled all my container plants out of the sun, and kept them watered. They died from heat.
I had a tabasco pepper plant that turned to a brown stick but later regenerated. I think I'll keep most everything inside next year.

My privet bushes took the heat and the drought. Every time they did get water they would jump out with a couple inches of new growth. They're so easy to please.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Esteemed Nut

Privet bushes won't grow where I live very well. They need good soil and water here. Maybe in Austin and points East. They would be burnt to a crisp on a good year. I don't have soil just cr@p on a hot rock.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Blade of Grass

Yeah, I was going to say, the only exception is if the privet bush is in front of a concrete wall acting as a thermal mass-frying-pan with the sun beating down on it, it needs watered regularly.

Probably the rock gets in the way of the roots growing down too, and other factors. You might like cacti. I wouldn't mind having cactus for the house, but probably not outside.
-->